Re: Authors, publishers, settle suit with Google

Libraries do keep circulation records. But I'm not sure how
useful these data might be for discerning the impact of Google
Book Search on the circulation of out-of-print books. For
example, I don't think library metadata indicate whether a given
book is in-print or out-of-print, I don't think library
circulation data can tell whether someone checked out a specific
book from a specific library because they found out about it via
GBS, etc., etc.

Of course one could check circulation data by publication date to
see if "older" books are circulating more frequently than in the
past, but there would be no "smoking gun" that directly links GBS
to any significant increase.

Having said that, I am kind of curious about Georgia Harper's
claims about Google's data. Georgia said: "Google has stats that
are astounding reflecting the difference in access and use rates
for non-commercially valuable...books that on our library shelves
might have sat without being checked out for years, even
decades..." I'd like to hear more about these Google stats and
how they demonstrate this astounding difference.

Bernie Sloan
Sora Associates
Bloomington, IN