RE: How many (peer reviewed) journals are there?

Let me add one more question: how many peer-reviewed OA journals
are there that also are professionally copyedited? Has anyone
ever determined which OA journals do serious copyediting and
which don't do any or only minimal editing? A quick check of the
DOAJ site does not reveal any information on this point. It is
relevant to establishing both the overall quality of a journal
and to the costs of operating a journal. If far more OA journals
than print journals skimp on copyediting or do none at all, this
might be one reason OA journals can claim to be more cheaply
produced. But that would NOT be a point in favor of OA journals.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press