Re: How many (peer reviewed) journals are there?

There are various kinds of peer review that can complicate the
identification of which journals fall into the category and which
not. E.g., for many years--I can't speak for it now under its
current editor--Philosophy & Public Affairs, then published by
Princeton U.P., decided on which articles to publish almost
entirely by consultation of the main editor, Marshall Cohen, and
his two associate editors, Tim Scanlon and Tom Nagel, who put a
great deal of effort into helping authors improve their
submissions.  Only rarely did they feel it necessary to consult
other experts, and when they did, they seldom went beyond the
twelve-member editorial board (which included such figures as
Michael Walzer, John Rawls, Dennis Thompson, etc.) One might
classify this as a journal where "editorial control" was
exercised, but not peer review in the normal sense. But there is
no one in the field of philosophy who would not feel privileged
to have an article published in this journal, which early became
one of the most prestigious journals in its field and has
remained so ever since. So, it clearly matters who the editors
are, and what kind of review they are conducting. One cannot
conclude, arbitrarily, that "editorial control" cannot suffice.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press