Re: Authors, publishers, settle suit with Google

This discussion so far has neglected a very important fact: the
creation of a large corpus of "orphan works" is entirely an
artifact of the limitations of earlier printing technology.
University presses were once compelled to allow many titles to go
out of print simply because the economics of offset printing made
it financially impossible to reprint fewer than 500 copies. This
did not mean that no market any longer existed for these titles;
it meant only that the market demand wasn't sufficient to justify
a reprint at that level. With the advent of digital printing
technology--which John Thompson rightly identified as the "hidden
revolution" in scholarly publishing over the last decade in his
"Books in the Digital Age" (Polity, 2005)--any publisher can now
keep a book in print indefinitely through such POD services as
Lightning Source. Thus, henceforth, the category of "orphan work"
should simply cease to be relevant, to the extent that publishers
choose to avail themselves of this technology and the "long tail"
of the market that justifies using it.

I beg to differ with Joe that "readers...have demonstrated that
orphan titles are not terribly important." That would be true
only if one interprets "important" solely in narrow commercial
terms. Many "important" works in scholarly terms have become
orphans only because the technology rendered their reprinting in
hundreds of copies economically impossible. That will no longer
have to happen.

P.S. The exception for a while, will continue to be highly
illustrated books for which digital printing has not yet
succeeded in displacing offset printing for high-quality
reproduction of art.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press