How many (peer reveiwed) journals are there?

David, This was not a dig at OA, and it is unfortunate that you
view it this way.  The journal market responds to multiple
influences.  Michael Mabe and others interested in the metrics of
science look at how external influences (like number of
professional researchers, number of doctorates granted,
government sources of grants, etc.) can predict the growth of
journals.

But journals are composed of *articles*.  In the subscription
world, you cannot go on publishing 1, 2 or 3 articles per year.
Librarians would line you up in their next serials cut.  Serials
subscription agents, acting in the interest of libraries, are
also on the lookout for signs of failing journals, such as when
publishers are late in delivering promised issues, or combine
several issues into one. In other words, the subscription model
is a process that constrains the growth of journals.

When we remove subscriptions and move to an author-pays model we
also remove the processes that constrain the growth of journals.
This is why we can have a journal that publishes few if any
articles each year and still continue as a journal as long as
someone keeps the server plugged in.  If we keep this argument
going to its extreme, there is no reason why we cannot have a
journal for each article.  Mabe's straight line on his plot of
the trajectory of journals will then go through the roof.

--Phil Davis