Re: How many (peer reveiwed) journals are there?

In United States research universities and colleges, a great deal
of library support to faculty consists of assisting junior
faculty in attaining tenure, through the writing of articles for
a tenure portfolio.  In U.S. research universities and colleges,
articles published in non-peer-reviewed (albeit edited) journals
are ascribed much less value in a tenure portfolio than are
articles published in peer-reviewed journals.  That is, for U.S.
scholars and academic librarians, editorial control is not
equivalent to peer-review.  Accordingly, knowing which scholarly
journals are peer-reviewed is extremely important to U.S.
scholars-- both the junior faculty who are the heaviest library
users, and the senior faculty who assess their tenure portfolios
and so need to know which journals are peer-reviewed--and the
librarians who assist them.

Currently, to obtain key information about a scholarly journal,
U.S. scholars and academic librarians need to use multiple
reference sources: DOAJ (or the journal's Website) to determine
open access status, and Ulrich's (or the journal's Website) to
determine peer review status.  Ulrich's does not consistently
list OA information, and searching a journal's Website is often
inefficient because journal information on such a site is usually
scattered and often incomplete.  A single reference source other
than a journal's Website and listing both OA and peer review
information would lower search costs for U.S. scholars and
academic librarians.  DOAJ would thus substantially enhance its
value to U.S. scholars and academic librarians, allowing them to
rely often on a single reference source for key journal
information, if DOAJ records stated whether journals were
peer-reviewed.

Respecting ISSN, that alone doesn't seem to be adequate to
identify a scholarly journal, since most non-scholarly
periodicals in general distribution have ISSNs.  ISBD appears to
define "journal" in our sense as a "learned periodical," that is,
a publication issued in successive parts and more frequently than
annually, and intended to continue indefinitely, that is
"learned."  ISBD does not define "learned", however, so the ISBD
definition is incomplete.  I don't currently have access to AACR2
or CONSER documentation, and so can't assess definitions in those
works.  It seems we need to rely on the research of Sally Morris
and Michael Mabe and their colleagues for a definition of
"journal" in our sense.

Robert C. Richards, Jr., J.D.*, M.A., M.S.L.I.S.
Philadelphia, PA
E-mail: richards1000@comcast.net
* Admitted to practice in New York only.

From: "Anna-Lena Johansson" <Anna-Lena.Johansson@lub.lu.se>