RE: How many (peer reveiwed) journals are there?

I agree with Robert Richards:  the trouble with Ulrich's is that
it's publisher-completed

Some (especially in non-English speaking countries) don't know of
its existence

Some don't update their entries

And it's entirely dependent on the judgement of the person
completing the entry as to how they categorise the journal;
there is no definition of 'peer-reviewed', and there are no
checks.  Many journals (including the one I edit - and major
'hybrid' journals such as BMJ, for that matter) have peer review
for some content (e.g. research articles) but not for other less
scholarly items.

But as Robert says, there is no 'standard' for peer review
anyway;  Irene Hames' book on the subject is probably the
closest;  perhaps this is something on which the publishing
industry and the scholarly and library communities could usefully
work together?

Sally Morris
Consultant, Morris Associates (Publishing Consultancy)
Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK
Email:  sally@morris-assocs.demon.co.uk