Re: How many (peer reveiwed) journals are there?

Maybe it's a journal if it has an ISSN?

Sandy Thatcher

I'm sorry to be coy, but I don't understand how this question is
meaningful.  Journals are defined (mostly) by the community they
serve. While we like to think of journals as collections of
articles, "article" also requires some definition.  And while we
consider peer-review to be a universal standard of rigor, it is
based on *whose* peers you are talking about.  A journal can
still be a journal even though it publishes so infrequently, one
would question whether calling it a journal is even appropriate.
Look at scores of BioMedCentral or Bentham Science journals that
seem to maintain their presence in spite of attracting no
articles.

To the question of "what is a journal anyway?" we should add
"what is the sound of one hand clapping?" and ponder this for
some time.

--Phil Davis