Tr: How many (peer reveiwed) journals are there?

Hi Joe!

The c. 24,000 figure represents current, active, peer-reviewed
journals listed in Ulrich's.  There may, of course, be more
(particularly in languages other than English, which are not well
covered in Ulrich's). While publishers' definitions of peer
review may vary, they have all asserted that these journals are
in some sense peer-reviewed.  There are many more in Ulrich's
that do not claim to be peer-reviewed.  The figure has grown
pretty steadily over very many years.

I drew together all the information I could find last year in my
article, 'Mapping the journal publishing landscape:  how much do
we know?' (http://dx.doi.org/10.1087/095315107X239654)

Sally Morris
Consultant, Morris Associates (Publishing Consultancy)
Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK