Re: How many (peer reveiwed) journals are there?

For starters, who is the arbiter of what is and isn't a
peer-reviewed journal? Can we agree on one source of data so that
we aren't comparing apples to oranges?

And once we agree on a source, how accurate is it? A lot of
people (or at least a lot of librarians) use Ulrich's Periodicals
Directory, which categorizes various journal titles. A title can
be "scholarly" and/or "peer-reviewed". But that's not always
accurate. For example, for years Ulrich's listed Library Journal
as both scholarly and peer-reviewed, which most librarians know
is not the case. Ulrich's only recently reclassified LJ as being
not peer-reviewed and not scholarly.

Bernie Sloan
Sora Associates
Bloomington, IN