New issue of ScieCom info

(With apologies for cross-postings)

In this double issue we introduce the theme of Open Higher
Education in the Nordic and Baltic countries. Aune Valk presents
Open Higher Education in Estonia, and Open Educational Resources
in Swedish HE are discussed by Per Westman and Jonas Paulsson. In
coming issues we plan to present reports from other Nordic
countries

The University of Helsinki Open Access mandate is the first
university mandate in our region and Marjut Salokannel's report
University of Helsinki opens its research vaults describes the
purpose and implications of the mandate and also discusses the
importance of public availability of research data. "Currently
large amounts of research data lie under-utilized and research
funding can be regarded as wasted in this respect."

The Lithuanian Ministry of Education and Science initiated a
meeting on Open Access in the European Union and Lithuania. It
was arranged in May this year with the help of the Lithuanian
Research Libraries Consortium. The lively discussions are
reported by Meile Kretaviciene, who concludes with the positive
news that an article on Open Access is included in the draft of a
new Law on Science and Studies.

Jan Erik Frantsveg reports on the latest developments of Open
Access in Norway. Articles deposited in the NORA repositories
have increase by 30 %. Norwegian Creative Commons licenses have
been launched as well as a new OA journal on reindeer research.
The Ministry of Education and Research has asked the Norwegian
Research Council and The Norwegian Association of Higher
Education Institutions for advice on how to promote OA.

In her article Telling a different story in open access journals?
Helena Francke raises the interesting issue of what happens to
scholarly journals when they move online. Will research be
narrated in different ways when untraditional tools are available
for use as a result of a change of medium? The study is based on
265 open access journals.

Readers are very welcome to comment our articles and to send us
news on scientific communication developments in the
Nordic/Baltic countries.

Ingegerd Rabow
Editor-in-chief

Articles:

Open Higher Education in Estonia
Aune Valk

http://nile.lub.lu.se/ojs/index.php/sciecominfo/article/view/651

Telling a different story in Open Access journals?
Helena Francke

http://nile.lub.lu.se/ojs/index.php/sciecominfo/article/view/652

University of Helsinki opens its research vaults: a few words on
open access and the new research environment in Finland
Marjut Salokannel

http://nile.lub.lu.se/ojs/index.php/sciecominfo/article/view/653

Open Educational Resources in Swedish Higher Education
Per Westman, Jonas Paulsson

http://nile.lub.lu.se/ojs/index.php/sciecominfo/article/view/654

The Meeting on Open Access in the European Union and Lithuania,
7th May 2008
  Meile Kretaviciene

http://nile.lub.lu.se/ojs/index.php/sciecominfo/article/view/655

News About Open Access in Norway