Re: Wiley-Blackwell 2009 Subscription and Licensing Options

If wider readership is now the goal, as against the principle of
Open Access itself, then scholarship is better served by schemes
like Knowledge Exchange, where a central body provides funds,
sets the license terms, and insists that content is supplied
cheap: everybody's happy. (Publishers who have maximum market
share lose out; all other kinds of publishers gain). And if
existing publishers are carrying on doing the publishing, then we
are spared the funding wrangles and failures which would have
been a feature of OA for the foreseeable future; and the
sustainability of publications is assured: in the OA land, of
every man his own publisher, I don't think its properly been
taken on board what an effort, a strain it is sustaining over
years and years micro journals of one sort or another. A
publisher puts up with it because its his job, keeping the show
on the road in the end provides his income.

Are there enough exceptional characters out there who will keep
plugging away with a journal that hardly anyone seenms to care
about, year after year, on top of that a continuing struggle to
get funding? What seems more likely is that in a few years time,
alongside the highway of scholarly communication, we are going to
see more and more crashed OA journals, the gaskets of cash and
enthusiasm having blown. How does that serve science?

Admittedly, widespread KE schemes would turn publishers into
civil servants, and another raft of issues arises swith that; but
from the library side, I can't see that raising objections, and
would go some way to take the sting out of the charge that
private publishers profit from the public funding of research.

Bill Hughes
Multi-Science