Re: R: Revoked Open Access?

My point was that if these "major institutions" are using some of
their funds to pay OA fees, they have less to pay for other
things, like funding research and conferences. I assume these
institutions are the ones that have traditionally supported
research by directly giving grants to researchers and organizing
conferences where they exchange ideas. If they are diverting some
of their resources to paying publication costs, which have not
traditionally been their roles (but rather the roles of
libraries), then there is a reallocation of resources going on
here that represents what economists call "opportunity costs."

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press