RE: [SPAM] Re: Wiley-Blackwell 2009 Subscription and Licensing Options

> Your logic seems to be flawed, too. "Online delivery platforms,
> discovery tools, SEO etc." are a basic investment, just like
> the costs for maintaining a print production line; but the
> marginal cost of adding electronic access for another title to
> a customer's online account is certainly smaller than the
> marginal cost of producing and distributing a further print
> copy to a library.

I can't argue with your comments about the marginal cost of
adding electronic access but that wasn't the point I was making.
Investment in any new technology is generally expensive and this
was certainly the case for electronic delivery platforms.  It may
well be 'basic investment' but this isn't a one-off set-up cost -
it is an ongoing cost of providing online services - and the fact
that publishers have invested millions of dollars in these
systems is a fact and not conjecture.

Ian Russell, ALPSP