RE: Wiley-Blackwell 2009 Subscription and Licensing Options

To build on Ann's point about the predictability of costs. Costs
are indeed difficult to predict, especially when one has
suppliers in different currency zones. But there's a wider point
about costs that no-one's mentioned yet. Many costs are down to
choices made when planning one's operational budget. These
choices relate to decisions made about how the business is run.
In particular, about the additional services a publisher chooses
to deliver on top of the basic tasks of preparing print issues
and putting a PDF online. Since publishers don't behave like
budget airlines - where seemingly everything including the seat
you sit on is charged as a supplement - publishers don't charge
supplements for these services but provide them as part of the
subscription fee. For example, we didn't increase our prices to
reflect the cost of creating our StatLink service (so readers can
download Excel sheets of the tables they find in our
publications), but we did make the choice to add the work it
takes to create this service to our cost base. We didn't have to
launch the StatLink service, no-one was asking for it, but we did
feel that adding value in this way would make it more likely that
enough customers would choose to subscribe to our publications at
the prices we charge so that we'd have enough revenue to cover
the additional cost we chose to take on.

As Dickens noted with his character Mr Micawber: "Annual income
twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds, 19 shillings
and 6 pence, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds,
annual expenditure twenty pounds, ought and six pence, result
misery." One can be sure that those publishers who regularly
flirt with misery will not be around to offer their services in
the long run (unless there's someone prepared to subsidise the
show indefinitely).

Toby Green
Head of Publishing
Public Affairs & Communications Directorate
OECD
toby.green@oecd.org
www.oecd.org
www.oecd.org/publishing