Re: Wiley-Blackwell 2009 Subscription and Licensing Options

It may be that our esteemed Moderator will not allow this
discussion to proceed for much longer, but it has produced some
interesting information from publishers. The discussion centered
around a key issue: what are customers paying for when they
purchase a journal or journals?

In her post of 1 October Emily Gillingham wrote that
Wiley-Blackwell's position is that "we are selling content not
packaging". The raw content is in fact supplied to publishers by
authors for free, so what publishers are really selling is not
content but value added to the content through editing and other
content-related services. This has been the case put by
publishers in response to use of repository content, that users
may get access to the raw content through a repository but that
publishers deserve to be paid for the use of the value-added copy
on the publisher's web-site. (I am not commenting on the rights
or wrongs of this argument, only that it is made.)

It is also clear from the various responses that, as well as
paying for the value added to content, customers are also paying
partially or fully for the cost of both forms of delivery of
content, i.e. print and online. Nothing in the responses
convinced me that publishers are separating out the full cost of
print delivery and not charging that cost to online-only
customers. Maybe they cannot, maybe they do not want to, but I do
not see a clear demarcation between print and online in what
customers are paying for when they purchase a journal or
journals.

The discussion has also revealed that publishers view the cost of
providing online delivery as being of the same order of magnitude
as the cost of print delivery. I am not qualified to comment on
the accuracy of this view. From my own experience I do find it
difficult to accept Ian Russell's view (post of 2 October) that
"when publishers first put content online they generally added
this for free.... (thus reducing the "bottom-line" and decreasing
profitability)". The reason I find this hard to believe is that
it was a time of both above-inflation price rises and high
profits, so the price rises and not profit-levels were paying for
the investment in online delivery. It is now very difficult for
the customer to know how much the customer (ultimately the
taxpayer) is paying for online delivery, or indeed for any of the
value-added services publishers provide. Work is underway - by
John Houghton and others - to help us understand the costs and
the value of benefits from different ways to disseminate
publicly-funded research, and maybe we also need an
accountability element in the structure, such as that to be
required from financial institutions receiving a large injection
of taxpayer dollars.

Fred Friend
JISC Scholarly Communication Consultant
Honorary Director Scholarly Communication UCL