Re: Wiley-Blackwell 2009 Subscription and Licensing Options

And here we have the difference between non-profits and
for-profits.  Joe Serene sets prices to cover costs, including
paying the folks who do the work.  Joe Esposito says the that the
market sets prices, which can't quite be entirely true, because
the quantity demanded of any title will depend in part on the
price. As long as the price is high enough to cover costs, The
publisher has a choice of prices. The obvious price for the
publisher to pick (or at least to guess at and try to pick) is
the profit-maximizing price, which will depend, per Joe E., on
the market.

Paul N. Courant
University Librarian and Dean of Libraries
Harold T. Shapiro Professor of Public Policy
Professor of Economics and of Information
The University of Michigan