RE: Wiley-Blackwell 2009 Subscription and Licensing Options

I believe Dr. Esposito describes pricing in a competitive market.
Many, though not all, markets for copyrighted scholarly works are
characterized by monopoly, however: the publisher exercises
market power, and so can raise prices above a competitive level.
The monopolist indeed sets the price, at the point at which its
marginal revenue equals its marginal cost:

"Monopoly exists when one firm controls all or the bulk of a
product's output, and no other firm can enter the market, or
expand output, at comparable costs. Such a monopolist has the
power to raise price above competitive levels by restricting its
output, because the output reduction cannot be offset by expanded
output by others. . . . [A]llocative efficiency results when
price equals marginal cost in all markets. Perfect competition
insures this result because firms in competitive markets that are
individually too small for their output decisions to affect price
maximize their net returns by producing up to the point that the
market price just covers the cost of the last unit of output. For
them, the added or marginal revenue from an additional sale is
the same as the cost at which it is made. This is not so for the
monopoly firm. Unless it can discriminate in price among
different customers, the monopoly firm can expand sales only by
lowering the price for all. Consequently, its marginal revenue
from selling an additional unit is less than the price it can
obtain for that unit, for it had to reduce price on all of its
volume in order to sell that additional unit. The monopolist
maximizes profits at that output at which its marginal revenue
equals its marginal cost. At that point its price exceeds
marginal cost and its output is less than it would be when
competition forces price down to marginal cost."

4A Phillip E. Areeda & Herbert Hovenkamp, Antitrust Law: An
Analysis of Antitrust Principles and Their Application para.
403a-403b (2006 & Supp. 2008) (citations omitted).

Robert C. Richards, Jr., J.D.*, M.S.L.I.S., M.A.
Head of Technical Services
Drexel University Earle Mack School of Law
Legal Research Center
Philadelphia, PA 19104
rcr38@drexel.edu

* Admitted to practice in New York only.

The opinions expressed above are solely mine, and do not
necessarily represent the views of Drexel University.