Shared E-Resource Understanding (SERU)

The "Shared Electronic Resource Understanding" is a Recommended
Practice document from the National Information Standards
Organization (NISO). It offers publishers and librarians the
opportunity to save both the time and the costs associated with a
negotiated and signed license agreement by agreeing to operate
within a framework of shared understanding and good faith. The
document (RP-7-2008) is available for free download here:
http://www.niso.org/workrooms/seru. The website also provides
additional materials to help publishers and libraries adopt a
SERU approach including a registry of publishers who wish to use
SERU with any of their products and librarians who would like to
request that SERU apply to some of their products.

The lastest addition to the SERU Registry is Taylor & Francis, a
leading international academic publisher. Margaret Donahue
Walker, North American Journals Sales Director for Taylor &
Francis stated on joining, "SERU doesn't do away with contracts.
It just sets mutually implicit terms and conditions if we chose
to forego the long process of negotiating a full license
agreement. Many of our current customers and consortia contacts
are signed up, as well. This means we can expedite orders and
deliver content to end users without delay."

If you would like more information on using SERU or joining the
registry, please contact Karen Wetzel, NISO Standards Program
Manager, kwetzel@niso.org.

Note: This message was cross-posted.

Cynthia Hodgson
NISO Technical Editor Consultant
National Information Standards Organization
Email: chodgson@niso.org