Reducing cost of Elsevier Science Direct: SUMMARY

How to save money on Science Direct

Thanks to everyone who sent comments and suggestions on how to
save money on a Science Direct license. The general consensus is
that it is hard to save money on Science Direct. There is also
some suggestion that Science Direct has restructured pricing so
that it is more heavily based on number of users and on usage.
This has led to price increases beyond what libraries have seen
in recent years. On a positive note, one respondent said that a
budget cut can turn out to be a good thing in the long run, as it
can force vendors to have to renegotiate with the library,
resulting in a better deal.

I've summarized the responses below in a deliberately vague
manner to preserve the confidentiality of contract negotiations
and terms.

- Drop print copies of titles and save 10%

- negotiate a 4% (i.e. small) cut

- reduce the number of titles in a shared title list (for
consortia)

- just purchase a few titles, then get pay-per-view to access the
rest. Or just get pay-per-view and no subscriptions. You may find
that PPV is used less than you expected, and for different titles
that you would have selected for subscriptions.

- If your price has increased due to the restructured pricing,
analyze the usage and users yourself and make a counter-offer

- Get your library committee on board as you work to cut
subscriptions, and make campus faculty aware of the high cost of
Science Direct subscriptions and/or negotiation difficulties.
Faculty can obtain articles through ILL or from colleagues at
other institutions.

- Ask faculty to rank your Science Direct subscriptions, and then
just subscribe to the highest ranking ones.

-Analyze your usage data. You may find that backfiles get better
use than current subscriptions.

-Handle Elsevier print subscriptions for all your departments on
campus (i.e. individual departments that like to have their own
print copy of a journal). That way, you only have to pay a top-up
fee for online access, not the entire fee.

-Negotiate a good deal for journals, when purchasing e-books.

-Get access to another institution's subscription. It's cheaper
than having your own subscription.

-Negotiate a price cap, e.g. 5.5%, on a multi-year agreement.

-Cancel other Elsevier products to help pay for the increased
cost of Science Direct

-Refuse the initial proposal and demand a better deal.

Jennifer Watson   jenniferwatson@tennessee.edu
Assistant Professor/Head, Electronic & Collection Services
University of Tennessee Health Sciences Library