Re: Letter from 46 law professors to the House Judiciary Committee

I have no quarrel with the legal argument provided by this
distinguished group as it applies to the NIH policy. But the same
argument does not apply to the government's attempt to
expropriate the content (including editorial apparatus) of the
Papers of the Founding Fathers published by a number of
university presses, which exemplifies the kind of expropriation
of publisher's value added that the AAUP opposes. Unlike the NIH
policy, this proposed expropriation involves the final work as
published and includes everything the publisher adds, for which
the government has provided no funding whatsoever.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press

[SNIP]