Reducing cost of Elsevier Science Direct

Dear LibLicensers,

Apologies if this topic has been discussed before - I'm finding
the archive search feature of this list rather unproductive
today.

Like many libraries, we are facing a budget shortfall. We're
currently looking at the elephant in our collection, which is
Elsevier Science Direct. Last year we purchased a bunch of titles
to our "subscription turnover" level (about 300 titles), plus a
shared title list of about 1000 titles (we joined a small
consortium for this). For 2009 we hoped to save money by pulling
out of the consortium and its shared title list and just
purchasing about 260 "subscription turnover" titles. To our
dismay, the quote we have received for 2009 is twice as high as
what we paid in 2008.

I just wondered if anyone else has had success in containing or
reducing costs for Science Direct. I'd appreciate any pointers
you can give me.

Thanks for your help.

Jennifer Watson jenniferwatson@tennessee.edu
Assistant  Professor/Head, Electronic & Collection Services
University of Tennessee Health Sciences Library
<jwatso21@utmem.edu>