Re: New US Bill re. Copyright/Federal Funding

As Peter might imagine, I can't let his reply go unanswered. But
I do encourage people to read his blog, which raises some very
interesting questions, particularly about what digital rights the
publishers of the Papers projects have had to do what they have
done. And I hope they read the reply from Jim Cassedy as well
because he points out that nearly two-thirds of the funding for
the projects has come from non-federal sources.

I don't myself know the answer to his question about rights. I
used to work at Princeton, which publishes the Jefferson Papers,
so I know something about these projects. My educated guess is
that digital rights were not even contemplated when these
projects were begun in the 1950s. At that time, as Peter suggests
(but doesn't clarify), unpublished works (like the Papers) were
protected by state common law, not federal copyright law. When
the 1976 Copyright Act went into effect in 1978, all unpublished
works were given copyright protection until 2002 and, if they
were published by that date, until 2027 (since extended by the
Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act). But I guess one
important question is this: were all the documents included in
the Papers considered work of the U.S. government and hence in
the public domain? If they were, then they had no copyright
protection at all. I am myself assuming that is their status, but
I honestly don't know. If they are in the public domain, then of
course the "repositories" of the various Papers had no copyright
ownership in them either. What publishers can claim, of course,
is ownership in all of the editorial apparatus.

That apparatus, and all the huge amount of scholarly effort that
went into preparing it, was supported by a mixture of federal and
non-federal funding, the latter constituting some 60% of it.
Peter is suggesting that the government, by virtue of its partial
funding of the work, should have the right to expropriate all of
it and publish it, as true OA, for the benefit of the public. Of
course, this means that any publisher investing its own funds in
the Papers would have no means of recovering any income to cover
its costs. The federal monies did NOT go to support the
publishers' costs, if my memory serves me correctly.

Peter is quite right that Rotunda is not OA; it is a licensed
product. But it has been supported in considerable part by funds
from Mellon and other foundations. Mellon, as we all know,
invests in projects like this while expecting there to be a
sustainable business model in place to recover costs in the
manner that, say, Project Muse (which Mellon also funded in its
startup phase) does. Virginia, I am sure, does not make "profits"
from publishing the Papers. Thus, the work is being done in the
most economical way, one would suppose, for the benefit of the
public, which it is that press's mission to serve, as it is for
all presses.

Peter suggests that there is a better way to do this and and
proposes that the LC be the online publisher. Well, that is a
possibility, I suppose, but anyone who thinks this is a good idea
should read Jim Cassedy's pointed reminders of why this might NOT
be such a good idea. I don't see that Peter has replied to these
objections on his own blog.

But let's generalize here from what I take to be Peter's overall
position. We all know that the NEH offers grants to scholars in
the humanities to do research leading sometimes to books, both
works they write themselves and translations. Peter's logic would
then lead us to accepting that the federal government would have
the right to take the work as published by a university press (or
any other publisher) and offer it as a PDF online in full OA
mode. What press in its right mind would consider spending
$20,000 to $30,000 (the average cost of publishing a monograph in
the humanities) to publish a book based on NEH-funded research
that no library would buy? We already know, from data supplied by
Yankee Book Peddler, that 25% of the libraries whose approval
plans it handles will not purchase books that are based on
dissertations because the dissertations are available through
ProQuest and/or NDLTD. Mind you, these are books that are NOT
identical to the dissertations but, in the vast majority of
cases, have undergone quite substantial revision. It is easy to
infer, therefore, that NO libraries would rationally purchase
books that the NEH itself made freely available over the
Internet. Thus, with equal rationality, presses would cease to
publish any books based on research funded by the NEH. So, Peter,
exactly how does this benefit scholarship? Yes, the raw
manuscripts submitted by scholars to the NEH for posting would be
available to the public. But they would not have benefited from
the rigorous peer review that presses conduct nor from all the
value added in other ways by presses. They would, in effect,
exist in the same state as dissertations do in ProQuest's
database. Would promotion and tenure committees consider these
unvetted "publications" as a basis for awarding promotion or
tenure? My guess is they would not.

I would have no objection if the NEH were to demand submission of
manuscripts, as kinds of "reports" on the research done, and then
post these for the public's benefit (though, given the low sales
and usage of most monographs, one wonders how much benefit to the
broader public these would have). But I do object to the
government's expropriating the value added by presses and
disseminating the books that have gone through that expensive
process, thereby undercutting any chance the presses might have
of generating an income stream to cover their costs.

Now, if our parent universities were willing to cover all of our
publishing costs, we would be happy to provide these books in
full OA mode ourselves--and I daresay we could do a better job of
it than any federal agency. But the reality is that most
universities expect their presses to cover 90% of their operating
costs, some require them to cover 100%, and at least one even
expects its press to return part of its earnings to the
university. So, we presses have an obligation to our universities
to publish in such a manner as to create income streams that can
be protected, by assertion of copyright claims if necessary. We
don't have to operate in this way, but we do so because that is
how our parent universities have decided we should operate.

AAUP-member presses are NOT opposed to OA, as all too many people
seem to assume, and some of us are conducting experiments with
various forms of OA publishing--but OA in a form that is NOT
incompatible with generating an income stream. In the Office of
Digital Scholarly Publishing that our press runs jointly with the
Penn State Libraries, we do actually publish some materials
online with no expectation of any income. That is because the
cost of doing so is subsidized by the Libraries's budget, and the
decision has been made to provide these materials in completely
unfettered ways, In our Romance Studies series, on the other
hand, we try to generate income sufficient to cover basic
publishing costs by following the type of OA model pioneered by
the National Academies Press, which uses the OA version as a kind
of marketing tool to generate sales of a POD version. I am as
much a fan of OA as anyone, but I can't just indulge my fancy by
giving away everything the press publishes for free.  I am sure,
if I did, I would have the top administrators at Penn State
barking at my door and wondering just what we were doing.

This is a long-winded way of explaining why the AAUP supports the
legislation that would prevent the federal government from across
the board expropriating "value added" work for which it had paid
nothing.

I would ask those journal publishers who support the NIH policy
if they would also support it if the NIH were to demand immediate
deposit of the final published article for posting at the time of
publication. I, personally, have no problem with the NIH policy
myself, as I do not believe that it poses any economic threat to
publishing in the sciences. But not being a publisher of STM
journals, I also don't feel I am in a position to speak for
others in that regard. The AAUP position, as I understand it, is
NOT directed at undermining the NIH policy, but rather at the
more general problem that I outlined above with the hypothetical
example of the NEH.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press