Re: New US Bill re. Copyright/Federal Funding

As a footnote, I would add that university presses are concerned
about the government's move to make the papers of the Founding
Fathers, as published with editorial apparatus by a number of
presses, freely available on the Web without compensation to the
presses or editors, whose work has been supported only in part by
federal funding and in substantial part by private parties also.
This kind of expropriation would severely undermine the ability
of presses to continue publishing these valuable papers.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press