Re: Plan B for NIH Public Access Mandate: A Deposit Mandate

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Joseph J. Esposito <espositoj@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I feel obliged to state the obvious:  Stevan Harnad's comment
> in this thread about "that rare, lucky author" is an admission
> that OA has little impact. That author is rare and lucky
> because he or she has so many requests for copies of articles
> that are otherwise not available to other researchers. Most
> authors, of course, will not be troubled much with requests
> because the articles are indeed available to most researchers
> through institutional subscriptions.

I'm afraid that is not the explanation at all! The reason the
author with 1000 eprint requests is rare and lucky is because
most authors get far fewer eprint (or reprint) requests than
that, whether or not their articles are OA. Not only does the
Seglen 80%/20% rule (the "skewness of science") apply to
citations (the top 20% of articles get 80% of the citations) but
it applies to downloads and eprint-request effects as well.

(There is one interesting yet-to-be-answered empirical question
there, however, which concerns the degree to which the 80/20
filter is based on the metadata -- author/title/abstract --
alone, versus the extent to which it is -- or will be -- based on
a browsing of the full-text. Probably there is an 80/20 effect at
each level -- citations, downloads, eprint requests -- but with
different scales, and possibly browsing will have a somewhat
flatter ratio (say, 70/30, who knows?) than citing, because it is
ergonomically "cheaper" to browse a paper whose title looks
promising than it is to read it through to make sure it is NOT
promising after all.)

Seglen, EO (1999) The Skeweness of Science. JASIST 43: 628-638
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/10049716/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

There is also a positive correlation between earlier downloads
and later citations, and I don't doubt that a similar correlation
will turn out to be operating with eprint requests.

(As you know, even Phil Davis's premature APS journal study with
randomized OA detected a significant download advantage in the
first year, when it was still too early to detect any citation
advantage. There is your evidence, if you still needed it, that
access is NOT "available to most researchers through
institutional subscriptions..." The OA citation advantage is the
further evidence.)

Brody, T., Harnad, S. and Carr, L. (2006) Earlier Web Usage
Statistics as Predictors of Later Citation Impact. Journal of the
American Association for Information Science and Technology
(JASIST) 57(8) pp. 1060-1072.
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/10713/

Last point: The absolute scale of the citation 80/20 differential
is of course quite a bit lower than the download or
eprint-request 80/20 differential, so whereas the author who gets
1000 eprint requests is rare and lucky, the author who gets 1000
citations is even rarer and luckier! OA will raise that absolute
number, but probably not the ratio. And what that means is that
OA benefits the better articles more. (The "Quality Advantage.")

> Whatever one feels about the legality of the NIH policy, the
> conclusion is inescapable (citing Harnad as above) that OA is a
> small idea.  How it has come to dominate discourse concerning
> scholarly communications is a marvel, comparable in its way to
> the sudden interest of the popular media in hunting moose.

(As a vegetarian, I can say that I certainly hope there is no
affinity between the two!) But, to repeat the same point as
above, the reason OA benefits a small portion of research more is
not that OA is a small idea -- doubled downloads is a big idea!
-- but that scholarly and scientific quality (and hence usage and
citation) is skewed.

Stevan Harnad