RE: New US Bill re. Copyright/Federal Funding

Many publishers would agree that the results of publicly funded
research should be available to the public free of charge but
that these 'results' are the authors' original version of the
manuscript before peer review, copy-editing, reference linking,
typesetting etc.  The authors' original version also does not
benefit from association with a journal brand.

If scholarship wants to benefit from the value added by
publishers - whether those operating a predominantly gold OA
business model, a predominantly subscription model or any other
business model as yet not even though of, then it needs to be
paid for.

Taking away the ability for publishers to recover their
investment and, yes, in some cases make a profit will only serve
to stifle innovation and investment in scholarly communication
and IMHO is not in the best interests of academia or of the
public at large.

Ian Russell
ALPSP