RE: New US Bill re. Copyright/Federal Funding

Dear All:

I apologize for the emotionalism of my earlier comments.

Whose rights to protect when it comes to scientific research is
of course a complicated question.  When I worked as a
presidential advisor, the trend was definitely towards making
access and practical use of knowledge developed by federal funds
available to as many people as possible.  I believe in that
policy.

I recognize that publishing houses want to make money on their
publications and if Disney and Fox News want to do this, fine.
That's entertainment.

But the inherent value of scientific research is that a wide
variety of learned experts read and discuss it.  Since the
purpose of federal funds for research is to advance science,
technology, health care, and better standards of living, I
believe that granting a free irrevocable, world-wide license to
the government to display and copy articles is nothing more than
fulfilling the purposes of the grant/contract.

Linda Hopkins

Linda K. Hopkins, Attorney at Law
Intelliware Int'l Law Firm
449 South Owasso Boulevard West