Sent: 05 September 2008 00:36
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Creative Commons in Action, and the DOAJ growth doubled over
the past year

I have to say that I find this statistic rather alarming. Does
the world really need all these new journals? At least when
libraries had to buy journals, there was some market discipline
being exercised on the growth of new journals. And presumably
some degree of expertise, by library staff or faculty advisors,
was being exercised in the selection of new journals. But now it
seems that journals are becoming another form of vanity
publishing, if not outright scams as have been questioned on this
listserv, and we are seeing an exponential rate of growth. Maybe
we will soon get to the point where every faculty member will
decide to edit an OA journal where all his or her friends can get
published?

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press