Re: Update from Multi-Science Publishing

Just to clarify, "Knowledge Exchange is a co-operative effort
that intends to support the use and development of ICT
infrastructure for higher education and research" (see
http://www.knowledge-exchange.info/ ). As do each of the four
national member organisations - DEFF, DFG, JISC and SURF - in
support of their own mission, Knowledge Exchange undertakes a
variety of initatives in support of the collective mission. Again
like its member organisations, Knowledge Exchange supports both
open access and fair licensing arrangements for access to
academic content.

To take another example, both SURF and JISC have their own
copyright initiatives but they collaborate through Knowledge
Exchange on developments - like the use of a licence to publish
as an alternative to copyright assignment - when the interests of
higher education and research can be served best through such
collaboration. So the important cross-border licensing initiative
discussed on liblicense needs to be seen in the context of the
full work of KE. For more background on the cross-border
licensing initiative and how national initiatives can relate to
international collaboration please listen to the podcast at
http://www.jisc.ac.uk/news/stories/2008/06/podcast44knowledgeexchange.aspx

Fred Friend