RE: MPS and PLoS Sign Agreement

Sandy,

The Federal Circuit's recent opinion in Jacobsen v. Katzer,
<http://www.cafc.uscourts.gov/opinions/08-1001.pdf>, mentions the
consideration issue.  See Jacobsen v. Katzer, No. 06-CV-01905,
slip op. at 12-13 (Fed. Cir. Aug. 13, 2008) ("The choice to exact
consideration in the form of compliance with the open source
requirements ... rather than as a denominated fee, is entitled to
no less legal recognition.").

That is, according to the court, as I read its opinion, the
user's express or implied promise to abide by the attribution
requirement is sufficient consideration to support the contract.
Given that account of the consideration, then one may view the
boilerplate contract as an offer and the user's conduct affirming
the terms of the contract as the acceptance.  Circuit Judge
Easterbrook gives a memorable account of this view in ProCD, Inc.
v. Zeidenberg, 86 F.3d 1447 (7th Cir. 1996).  Some U.S. courts
have declined to enforce electronic boilerplate licenses on
various theories, including lack of acceptance; but many U.S.
courts (including the Federal Circuit and the 7th Circuit) have
enforced such licenses.  The Jacobsen opinion primarily concerns
how the condition/covenant distinction determines whether the
attribution requirement implicates copyright rights.  That
opinion and the authorities cited in it may be of interest to the
list.

Robert C. Richards, Jr., J.D.*, M.S.L.I.S., M.A.
Head of Technical Services
Drexel University Earle Mack School of Law
Legal Research Center
3320 Market St., Rm. L366
Philadelphia, PA  19104

215/571-4774 (voice)
215/571-4768 (fax)
rcr38@drexel.edu

* Admitted to practice in New York only.

The opinions expressed above are solely mine, and do not necessarily
represent the views of my employer.  The opinions expressed above do not
constitute legal advice.