Re: MPS and PLoS Sign Agreement

One could simply post one's work online with a notice such as the
following: "This work is made available to the public by the
author who asserts no rights under U.S. copyright law and permits
all uses of it subject only to the condition that the author's
name accompany the text every time it is reproduced."

As noted, under U.S. law, attribution is not guaranteed as a
right. So if attribution is desired, this needs to be stated as a
condition separate from the waiver of copyright. Under European
law, "moral rights" including attribution are inalienable, so the
condition above would be superfluous.

I wouldn't call this a "license" at all, but simply a voluntary
waiver of rights by the author. To me, "license" suggests a
contract between the author and one or more users.

Perhaps I don't understand exactly how the CC licenses work, but
do users all have to "sign" these licenses in some manner? Or do
they operate more in the manner of a "click-on" agreement, about
which I understand there is some controversy as to their legal
validity?

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press