RE: concepts of perpetuity

It should be noted that Sage publications Inc purchased CQ Press
in May 2008. At this time, no new license agreement for the CQ
Press online content has been forthcoming from Sage Publications
Inc and libraries who have CQ Press electronic subscriptions are
operating under the understanding that their original licenses
with CQ Press are still valid. In the press release about the
buy-out that was distributed 30 May 2008, there is only mention
that CQ Press will remain a separate division based in
Washington, D.C. and all the employees in the senior management
team would stay in place.

If we review the Project Transfer Code of Practice, section 7,
"The Receiving Publisher will honour any perpetual access rights
to previously published content which have been granted by the
Transferring Publisher with the authority of the journal owner."

CQ press/Sage is upholding this tenet of the Project Transfer
Code for 2008. Under the current license, the answer to Ann's
question is no, the current contract prevails.

Since the memorandum received at this institution states that the
perpetual access fees will be applied in the next calendar year,
2009, libraries and librarians are left to wonder if this means
new contracts are also being drafted by the new management of
this content. At which point, we're all back at the negotiation
table in regards to these fees.

Jill Emery
Head of Acquisitions
University of Texas Libraries