Re: MPS and PLoS Sign Agreement

But can't an author simply dedicate a work to the public domain
without using a license by accompanying the article with such a
notice, just the way many people do with a copyright notice? I
still fail to see what the "value added" of a CC license is, at
least in countries where "moral rights" already ensure the right
of attribution. It seems to me that this sort of CC license is
superfluous, unless one has special reasons for associating
oneself with the CC "brand" name.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press