Re: MPS and PLoS Sign Agreement

Joe,

Of course you may quibble. The point of this list is discussion,
after all. Thanks for the correction. I realise I used a wrong
term (quite apart from the religious connotations of 'limbo',
which I had never heard of until I came to live in the UK, even
though I, too, was raised a catholic - for me it used to mean a
low dance, bending over backwards under a horizontal pole). I
should have used 'open access limbo' instead of 'legal limbo'.

Sandy's question was about the value of a CC licence to the
author. Well, taking an article unequivocally out of 'open access
limbo' and ensuring that it will be recognised as open access is
a value to the author, no? Whenever I write article, I do see
that as a value to me, in any case. If CC licences didn't have a
value to authors (creators in general), it simply wouldn't be
used. Or is that too Darwinian an assumption?

Jan Velterop

PS. I also stand corrected on the moral rights issue. Thanks,
John Cox, for the clarification. It has to do with legislation in
particular countries; not with the distinction between Roman Law
and Common Law. See John's posting.