Re: Citation analysis of author-choice OA journals

Phil:

> For example, the multiplicative effect estimated for
> author-selected open access publishing in the journal
> Bioinformatics is 1.19, (which means a 19% advantage).  We
> multiply this by the impact factor of the journal (1.19 x
> 5.039) = 0.96 or rounded up to about 1 citation.

Can you please clarify your arithmetic here?

Aside of that I am puzzled by the impact factor multiplication -
the latter is a number of citations for a certain period - so the
result is citations squared? What does it measure then?

> If the price paid by authors (or their grants) is $2,800 for
> non-member institutions or $1,500 for member institutions, we
> simply take the cost and divide it by the benefit (0.96
> citations) to arrive at $2,925 for non-members or $1,567 for
> members.

Again - what are the units you compute the final result in?

Ari Belenkiy
Bar-Ilan University ISRAEL