Re: concepts of perpetuity

Sally Morris expresses what I expect is the general concern of
libraries: continued availability like that provided by ownership
of a physical copy, but with the enhanced accessibility of the
electronic medium and with the recognition that a copy on an
archival medium with restricted accessibility is not really the
same access that was paid for.

Another reason to prefer the term "continuing access" is
fundamental to the notion of copyright itself.  After some time
the material should pass into the public domain.  Ideally a
publisher would project the costs to maintain access for that
term and determine the present value of that effort in order to
include it in the asking price, so the subscriber does not pay
again and again for the same thing, if not ad infinitum, to an
outrageously enormous sum.  On the other hand, if, after the
expiration of copyright, owners can no longer control the
distribution of the material and exclusively profit from it, it
would be unreasonable to expect them to bear the cost of
providing access to it in perpetuity.  Longterm preservation is
really a concern of and should be a cost to society as a whole in
some sense or, more accurately, that portion of society that
concludes preservation is worth the effort.

One would assume that in making the agreement Licensors have
determined the present value of future costs to their
satisfaction and undertaken obligations in full knowledge of the
consequences.  When a publisher adds charges after having agreed
to impose no further charges, any ordinary person would feel that
an agreement has been breached.  Under the present legal regime,
one would assume that the Licensee would have to consider the
license terminated or resort to law to enforce the terms?

Karl Kocher
University of California, Davis

----- "Sally Morris (Morris Associates)"