Re: Citation analysis of author-choice OA journals

Ari, The method for calculating the "cost-benefit for each
additional citation" is provided on page 7:

"Considering that authors are required to pay the publisher for
the ability to make their article freely available upon
publication, we calculated the estimated cost per citation from
our model (Table 3).  To do this, we multiply the open access
citation advantage for each journal (a multiplicative effect) by
the impact factor of the journal to estimate the citation gain
within the first two years after publication.  This citation gain
is then divided by the open access fees levied by the publisher
for this service."

For example, the multiplicative effect estimated for
author-selected open access publishing in the journal
Bioinformatics is 1.19, (which means a 19% advantage).  We
multiply this by the impact factor of the journal (1.19 x 5.039)
= 0.96 or rounded up to about 1 citation.  If the price paid by
authors (or their grants) is $2,800 for non-member institutions
or $1,500 for member institutions, we simply take the cost and
divide it by the benefit (0.96 citations) to arrive at $2,925 for
non-members or $1,567 for members.

Remember that these are articles that authors select for
author-choice open access publication may be qualitatively
different than subscription-track articles, so part the effect we
are measuring may not be access.  In a randomized controlled
trial of OA publishing, where the researchers (not the authors)
select the publication track, we were unable to measure an effect
of access on citations, see:

Open access publishing, article downloads, and citations:
randomised controlled trial
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/337/jul31_1/a568

Phil Davis