MPS and PLoS Sign Agreement

Just a point of correction on Jan Velterop's posting.  Moral
rights are provided for in the UK's Copyright Designs & Patents
Act 1988.  Moral rights are recognized and protected throughout
the European Union, and in other jurisdictions as well.  Moral
rights cannot be sold or assigned by the author; he/she can only
waive them.  So they remain with the author come what may.  The
major gap in the recognition and protection of moral rights is
the USA.  This has little to do with Common Law vs. Roman Law (or
Civil Law) jurisdictions, and much more to do with the
legislative framework in each country.

Far more important is that moral rights simply codify proper and
professional publishing conduct, and prevents the publisher or
another author from altering the work or pretending that it is by
someone else. Moral rights assist in the process of countering
plagiarism, amongst other benefits, because the author can sue
the plagiarist for breach of moral rights.

John Cox

Managing Director
John Cox Associates Ltd
Rookwood, Bradden