Re: MPS and PLoS Sign Agreement

The primary (not residual) value of a Creative Commons license to
the producer, not the user, of a work is in the branding and
related linking from the CC-marked content to other content or
services for which other economic value may be derived.  Think of
CC content as product sampling or a form of embedded advertising.
A good analogy is with product placements in television and
movies.  The hero beats up the bad guys, runs off with the girl,
and then pauses to light up a Marlboro.  The image of Marlboro in
the medium is placed through a financial arrangement with
Marlboro's producers. I have discussed this matter in a blog post
on open content called "The Trouble with Free"
(http://pubfrontier.com/2008/06/08/the-trouble-with-free/).

For most academic information released under a CC license, the
aim is not to market consumer products but other forms of
information services and (the principal reason, at least at this
time) the reputation of the CC content's sponsor, typically an
author.  Not from its conceptual basis but from its actual
implementations by producers, CC content is thus an aspect of
brand management.

The value to users is another matter entirely, but not what Sandy
was asking about.  Users can derive enormous benefits from CC
content.  This is because as an aspect of brand management, some
producers release very good content indeed.  Some of the
information sponsored by pharmaceutical companies, for instance,
is well-researched, carefully written, and balanced in its
presentation.  Brand management is not necessarily a pollutant.
We simply have to view all ostensibly free content with an
appropriate degree of skepticism.

Joe Esposito