Re: Survey of Academic & Research Library Scholarly and Professional Journal Purchasing

On this list we do from time to time get these surveys posted. If
I am qualified I am always tempted to take part because I do want
to see the results (without paying)

I have a question for those posting this one. Those who take part
get a PDF of the results.

The survey company state: "The report will enable your library to
compare its instructional technologies, and management practices
with those of similar institutions in the USA, Canada, Europe,
Japan and other countries and regions".

However surely the results will not be much use as guidance for
practice unless the number of responses are compared with the
number of "similar institutions" in the different regions? How
will this company ensure the representativeness of its sample
and, if it does not or cannot, what will the use of the survey
be?

I appreciate that this question make show naivety and would
appreciate comments from statisticians as well as a reply from
Primary Research Group

Anthony