From: Pippa Smart <pippa.smart@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: selling e-articles
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Date: Tuesday, August 12, 2008, 7:20 PM

Selling individual articles - on a pay-per-view basis - is quite
common, and so far as I am aware, most commercial publishers are
already doing this. The last information I have on this was that
sales of individual articles are not huge, but slowly increasing.
The usual model is that the purchaser is able to open the full
article for a fixed time after payment - commonly 1 month (or in
a Nature article I recently purchased, 1 day!)

There are no problems with author rights that I am aware of,
since the articles are still be sold as a "part" of the original
publication. The problem that your colleague was thinking of is
Tasini, a case where the NYT took photographs that it had used in
one publication, and then created a new database product without
the permission of the photographers - the problem was the
creation of a new product.

I am not aware of any publishers selling a package of downloads -
i.e. setting up an account with a library to download up to a
maximum number for a fixed price (and cheaper than purchasing
each one individually) - although some libraries offer this (e.g.
www.ajol.info and - I think - the British Library).

Pippa Smart
Research Communication and Publishing Consultant
PSP Consulting - www.pspconsulting.org
Skype: pippasmart
pippa.smart@gmail.com
****