RE: selling e-articles

Indeed there is a long list of publishers of research journals
and many others who provide a variety of PPV (pay-per-view)
models (BTD, or "by the drink", as you say). Mostly they are of
the single article type, but it is not unheard of to see models
that offer unlimited access for a limited time, say for 1 day, or
3 days, or even 1 week, depending upon the publisher and their
journals.

At The Endocrine Society (our journals are Endocrine Reviews,
Endocrinology, Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism,
Molecular Endocrinology), we offer single-issue access and
reprints for an "average" fee - $16. We have looked at the entire
range of fees being charged for this kind of access; on the High
Wire Press journals, that range goes from $5 to $52 for access to
one article for 1 24-hr period. As mentioned, there are many
other varieties of PPV models as well, but I think every
publisher who can make use of an additional revenue stream (that
would be most of us) offers this kind of service.

This does allow those researchers and readers who only need an
occasional drink (i.e. access to single articles) to satisfy
their needs with a simple credit card transaction.

John Powers
Product Manager, Publications
The Endocrine Society
Chevy Chase, MD 20815-5817