Re: Oxford Journals now deposits NIH-funded articles into PubMed Central

Guilford Publications also deposits articles into PMC for its
authors whose work is identified as being supported by NIH
grants. While we believe it is the publisher's responsibility to
the author to administer this transfer of data, we are not sure
why, in this electronic age, the article DOIs cannot be used as
locators of the work, or, as noted below, that the NIH would not
accept links to the "authoritative site."

J. Falco
Managing Editor, Periodicals

_____

Ann Okerson wrote <aokerson@pantheon.yale.edu>

Re: Oxford Journals now deposits NIH-funded articles into PubMed Central

OUP's is a very important announcement, and it signals what
publishers may need to do in order to maintain and improve their
"author-share" of papers.

Although the deposit requirements for the various mandates, each
individually, may not seem onerous (NIH says that it's possible
to fulfill their submission requirement in as little as 10
minutes per article -- presumably after one has read the various
instructions and tried it at least once), the fact is that it's
one more thing that an author has to do, either right after the
publication of his/her paper or 12 months later.  In any case, by
then the author has gone on to other research and the previously
submitted paper is no longer on the "front burner."

Here at our university, principal authors are more likely to
assign this effort to an administrative assistant, a post doc, or
some other member of staff.  These individuals are charged with
making the submissions work and they are likely to seek help on
campus, from sources such as our libraries -- and maybe others
who are on a referral list as providing help.  The staff turnover
at these levels is far higher than at the PI level, and there is
not only a lot of learning, but also a lot of re-learning.  All
this becomes more complicated as the different procedures and
mandates may grow.

Our authors are saying, "well, why can't the publisher provide
one-stop shopping for this, i.e., take the monkey off my back --
make the fulfillment of the mandates their job, not ours, as part
of the publications process?"  Another (better?) alternative is
that NIH could accept links to the authoritative site:  the
journal itself.  In the days of computer networks, with ever
increasing interlinking, trying to centralize all information
just makes for a costlier and more costly service.

One solution to this increasingly complex situation on campus may
be the addition of staff to grants/contracts compliance units in
universities (we certainly won't get new positions in the
Libraries for such activity though we may have to re-direct from
other things).  An even better solution from our point of view is
OUP's:  to provide that support, as authors would like, at the
publishing end.  Thanks to OUP for this leadership.

That said, the best solution would probably be a
linked/distributed one.

Ann Okerson/Yale Library