Re: Understanding OA in the Academic Environment: A Guide

Many thanks to Stevan for drawing our attention to this important
new guide. Though it has its limitations (reflecting the
particular nature of Australian copyright law, for instance),
most of the content is universally applicable, and this document
could serve as a good tutorial for staff who need to get up to
date on the OA movement. I have just recommended it for such use
to AAUP press directors. The Copyright Toolkit at the end offers
a very useful condensation of a lot of relevant information that
authors need to know--and itself dramatizes how complex the scene
has become as authors need to bear in mind what rights they want
to retain and what rights they want to license to others.

In particular, it points out the importance of being aware of how
various licenses may conflict with each other, as between funding
bodies, institutional repositories, and publishers. Speaking just
for myself, I also applaud its stance on those forms of the
author's addendum that claim to be valid even if publishers do
not sign them (see page 109).

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press