RE: JSTOR and Free Journals

Dear Roman,

Since your question is explicitly about JSTOR and others on
liblicense-l may also be interested in this issue, please allow
me to share briefly a few points about our collection development
policies. If you would like further discussion about specific
titles, I would invite you to contact me or Barbara Chin in our
Publisher Relations unit at 212 358-6400.

Neither the business model nor alternate distribution channels of
a title are decisive factors for JSTOR in considering whether or
not to include a journal in the archive. Important considerations
include the length of the run, impact factor, number of libraries
holding the title, and specific recommendations from librarians
and scholars in the discipline(s) covered by the title. We also
consider the fit of the title within a broader collection. In any
case, once a title is accepted to the archive, our commitment to
its preservation is not altered in any way by business or
distribution models of the publisher.

I hope this is helpful.

Best,

Michael Spinella