RE: article on aggregated databases

Three factors need to be considered when evaluating today's usage
stats:

1.  the role of OpenURL link resolver.  It is possible that users
start from a general aggregated full-text database, but do not
use the full text from native database and use the link of
OpenURL to get full text elsewhere.  So OpenURL could cause
"decreasing downloads."  It can also help increase downloads,
depending on the OpenURL settings.  There are simply so many
variables due to OpenURL.

2. the role of federated search engine.  Obviously, it helps
increase searches.

3. the quality of statistics provided by vendors.  We seldom hear
questioning on the quality of usage stats provided by vendors,
because it is not as obvious as the holes in swiss cheese.  But I
noticed that sometimes we get lousy stats that either over-state
or under-state the real number.  One the one hand, I have had
received reports about sucessful full-text downloads from titles
that have never existed on the database.  On the other hand, I
have also received reports of a grand total smaller than a sub
total---that is, vendor-reported search smaller than
federated-search-reported search, with the former being grand
total and the latter sub total.

Nevertheless, that is a very interesting study and I will start
to watch the differences between searches and downloads.

Thank you.

Xiaotian Chen
Electronic Services Librarian
Bradley University