Re: Electronic Publication and Narrowing of Science and Scholarship

I would say that the problem with marketing is going to be more
important for the Open Access movement. DOAJ, Open J-Gate,
NewJour, EBSCO and many more are part of the solution. Open
Access journals are today part of thousands of library
catalogues.

I would say that the movement is very young, toll access journals
have been on the market for hundred of years now. Some lessons
have been learned.

After the Second World War it was the commercial publishing
industry that really changed science, from something
nationalistic to something international. But today the open
access movement has hints of the old nationalism. You know the
globalization demands that every country is in the forefront in
the information society, in the knowledge society or in the free
liberal market society otherwise the Chinese or Indians will
catch up.

I would say that the open access movement has a tendency towards
nationalism and regionalism and that this also narrowing science
and scholarship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_society

Jan Szczepanski
Forste bibliotekarie
Goteborgs universitetsbibliotek
Box 222
SE 405 30 Goteborg, SWEDEN
E-mail: Jan.Szczepanski@ub.gu.se

Opinions expressed here are my own and not that of Goteborgs
universitetsbibliotek

____