Re: Electronic Publication and the Narrowing of Science and Scholarship

People will have different views of this study, but mine is, Why
is this news?  The Long Tail of mythology cannot hope to compete
with the Short Head of the marketplace.

Thus the critical point:  To raise the impact factors for
research *and any other media* is not a matter of online vs.
print or open access vs. toll-access, but about marketing vs.
marketing:  a competition for the attention of the targeted user
base.  In such competition, there are winners and losers, as
attention is not distibuted equally across all members of a set.

One implication of this is that anyone involved with the
dissemination of scholarly information is going to have to make
bigger and bigger investments in the technologies that enable
Internet marketing.  We have seen champions of low-cost
technological solutions argure their case on this list.  I don't
think they will be with us very long.

Authors publish with the services that give them broadest
distribution. Currently that primarily means the most prestigious
toll-access journals, but if open access journals can demonstrate
that they do a better job, toll-access publications will decline
in importantce.

The best strategy for any publisher, traditional or open access,
is deep *and ongoing* investments in technology designed to
increase the discoverability and usability (which leads to
further discoverability) of published materials.  Simply putting
an article up on a Web site and praying that Google will find it
isn't going to cut it.

Joe Esposito