Re: renegotiating licenses

Hallo Matthew

I am also extremely interested in this project. At the University
of Pretoria (South Africa), our openUP office has undertaken a
project to manage copyright/licences with (mostly) South African
publishers. Very few South African journals' archiving policies
can be found on the SHERPA/RoMEO database and we have
successfully negotiated the archiving of the published PDF
version with many of these publishers on behalf of the authors.

We do not pay anything for the right to archive the published PDF
version, although some publishers impose an embargo period (which
is adhered to strictly). The feedback was as follows: 47% of the
South African publishers contacted prefer the archiving of the
published PDF version; 44% of the publishers have either not
replied or formulated a general policy on Open access and
archiving yet; 3% prohibits archiving and will not allow any form
of archiving; 4% of the publishers will allow the archiving of
the pre- or post-print version; 1% of the publishers will allow
the archiving of the post-print (post-refereed) version; and 1%
will allow archiving of the pre-print (pre-refereed) version.
This is an ongoing project and I hope to negotiate with more
publishers in future.

In answer to Joe Esposito's questions: we are subscribed to most
of these journals (although not all), and our aim is opening
access to the University of Pretoria research towards the
advancement of science. We believe that we have an important role
to play in making the smaller societal publishers aware of the
Open access movement and the development of institutional
repositories. Most publishers are very supportive and we have
developed new cooperation strategies - even forward the latest
issue of the journal or the articles to me the moment the new
issue is published. The archiving conditions of the publishers
are kept on a spreadsheet, is updated by the openUP office and
used by our submitters on a daily basis. If you want to know more
about this project, please contact me or read and view the
abstract and poster which was presented at the ELPUB 2008
conference, presented in Toronto, Canada in June:
http://hdl.handle.net/2263/6042

****