Re: Google Book Search and fair use

Adam,

Fair use is not the only way to get where you want to go.
Publishers could grant licenses in advance that assert how
material can be used.  (They should do this.)  So, for example, a
hardcopy novel could come with a license that allows a user to
make a digital copy; allows the user to share the copy with a
certain number of people; sets a price on usage beyond a certain
level (and includes a link for a transaction site, Visa and
PayPal accepted); permits users to come up with new fictions
based on the characters in the novel (good promotion) provided
that their length is below a specified limit; etc.  The specific
terms of the license are not what is important here.  What is
important is that right now no one knows what they can do
legitimately, so some people do nothing and others agitate for
broader change.  I just don't see why anyone thinks it is helpful
to keep people guessing about copyright status.

Let's add that the music industry has done this right with the
mandatory licenses for air play.  If you operate a radio station,
you don't have to call up the Beatles' lawyer everytime you want
to play "Paperback Writer." The royalty has been agreed to in
advance.  This is highly efficient.  Is the system perfect?  Of
course not.  But a system that works for most of the people most
of the time is good enough for me.  I say, Let's move onto the
next problem.

Joe Esposito